Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Um... no.

"SEVENTEEN MAGAZINE is not read by 17-year-olds, but by 11-year-olds who want to be 17, and who don't have wise parents."

This was tweeted by John Piper who is a great pastor and a very influential man. However, he really shouldn't tweet about teen girl magazines when he has never actually read one.
(I'm gonna insert here that "tweet" is such an awkward word. It sounds like "teat".)

I resent the statement, mostly because I am 20 and still have a subscription. (I'm letting it go, I like the fact that I can actually afford the clothes that are in there.)

The truth is that I am actually fairly impressed with a magazine that is from a secular world and the messages it gives girls. The articles about "hooking up" and sex always have stories from girls who regret making the decisions that they did. At the bottom of the sex articles there is a huge (about half a page) block that is brightly colored and tells teens why abstinence is the best option. And the last few articles about sex have actually been about "How to talk to your Mom about sex". How is that bad??? That is great! Its an awkward subject, and having a magazine give you tips from psychologists and experts on how to approach your mom is fantastic.

I could go on all day, but the truth is that over the past few years I have seen Seventeen magazine show more modest fashions, give better sex advice (namely not to do it or talk to your mom if you're thinking about it) and run articles that are helpful to girls. Yeah, maybe an 11 year old shouldn't be reading it, but that really isn't the issue here.

What is the real issue?? The real issue is that far too many young girls are reading Cosmopolitan. I myself have given in to the glossy covers, but the truth is that EVERY issue contains a plethora of sex advice, tips, activities, etc. I don't think its a fashion magazine (that section is actually rather small), nor does it give helpful relationship advice. All it talks about is sex. Now someone tell me that Seventeen is the culprit. I don't think so. I have seen girls toting Cosmopolitan from class to class since middle school. So there ya have it Mr. Piper. Go wage your war on Cosmo, and leave my Seventeen alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment